Monday, August 31, 2009

I have 1 official week until I move up to Rexburg! I am so anxious to start since pretty much all of my friends have and I'm sick of summer. I had to go up to USU this week to try and find a print of Old Main for my Dad and ran into a whole bunch of people (Chelsey included) which was a very welcome surprise! I can't wait for my school to start now! I feel like the younger sibling left at home while all her older siblings go to school and I am so excited to start!

On the college subject, I found out some slightly traumatic news. The Collegiate Singers, or BYU-I's top choir rehearse every day from about 11:30-12:30. This totally stinks because I have classes during that hour every day of the week except Saturday. I'm still going to audition and see what happens, but my hopes for making this choir just fell considerably. I hope that the website was wrong or that they change to an evening rehearsal time.

I've finished all my college shopping except for a 3-hole punch and tape. I'm also holding off on storage containers, etc. until I know exactly how much space I will have in my apartment. My grandma is almost done with my quilt and I cannot wait to see how it turned out! This winter, she is also going to help me finish the quilt I pieced in July. I love spending time with My grandmother! She is one of the most fantastic people I know!

Tyler finished all of his Eagle project paperwork and is waiting on signatures and a final interview now. We have had a bit of a fiasco because the Scout Office lost some of his merit badge stuff and were saying that Tyler had achieved the Life rank yet. We finally got all of that cleared up and convinced the 2nd councilor of our Bishopric that Tyler would be able to turn in his paperwork. I feel really bad for Tyler because his leaders and the bishopric member over scouting haven't been very helpful at all. Its a really good thing that we have so many incredible guys in the ward who are willing to pick up the slack.

This week, I'm going to start working into my college schedule. I have a 7:45 class, so I'll be getting in the habit of waking up at 6 or a bit earlier. I have been incredibly lazy this summer and haven't been getting up until 8 or 9, so this morning was a little bit difficult. It normally doesn't take me long to get into a routine though, so hopefully it will get easier further along in the week.

Last night, I found a 1997 mini-series of The Odyssey on youtube. I am pretty sure that it is the same version I saw in 7th grade (Mrs. Martin's class) after learning about the Trojan War. I've been watching clips of it after I read each night and while it has been entertaining, it hasn't been very accurate. They've tried to make modern in language and failed epically. The wigs and make-up are also ridiculous. Two of the Kings look like ape men and at first, I thought that I might have clicked on the Planet of the Apes link instead of The Odyssey. I've loved The Odyssey, though! It has been so much fun to read it. The Annotated version of The Hobbit has been very interesting. I've loved all of the extra illustrations and little facts about Tolkien, but I don't like having to read the chapter and then go back and read all of the footnotes. It breaks up the story a lot and I'm interested as to how my teacher will ask us to read it. I never knew that Tolkien was an accomplished artist though! He designed to dust covers for the book and also included 5 origin paintings. I love reading about J.R.R. Tolkien because he didn't set out to write a book, The Hobbit and LOTR started out as stories he told his children and would write down for their entertainment. Learning about his, it is easy to see why C.S. Lewis and he were such fast friends.

Well, I am off to copy down more of my mother's recipes. My biggest concern in the whole college adventure is feeding myself. Cooking is not one of my favorite activities and often times, I'll settle for not eating rather than having to take time out of my schedule to cook. My mother is also concerned and has been setting out some of the recipes she uses a lot for quick dinners, etc. out for me to copy. I've been catching up on a lot of movies during this process. Last time I copied recipes, I got through Season 1 of Pushing Daisies and today I will be watching Arsenic and Old Lace as well as Benny and Joon. It is going to be an exciting day! (insert sarcastic voice)

1 comment:

  1. A U2 song is one of your songs of the day?! I congratulate you on your improvement in taste. Have you ever looked up the meaning of the lyrics for New Years Day? One of U2's more directly political songs and that's saying something.

    New Years Day is even more impressive live, Edge plays guitar and keyboard at the same time.

    ReplyDelete