Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sorry that it has been so long since my last post. This week has pretty much flown by. Tuesday was my last voice lesson with Bonnie Slade and I am going to miss working with her an awful lot! Bonnie has been such an inspiration in my life as well as one of my best friends. It feels so crazy and almost wrong to be moving on. I also finished shopping for college basics with my mom on Tuesday. We spend the whole morning getting things like cooking sheets, a can opener, cleaning supplies & caddy, etc. It was actually kind of fun to just spend time with my mom. It has been a while since we have had time to do that.

Yesterday, I spend the morning gathering things from our garden and preparing them for storage. I made 21 jars of raspberry jam, cut up peppers and got them reading for freezing, dried basil and oregano, cut chives, pulled carrots, and prayed for the tomatoes. We have a whole trundle of green tomatoes, but they just won't turn red! By golly, I want at least one home grown tomato before I leave, they are my favorite vegetable. After all the garden work, I started to catch up on my reading. I've fallen behind a little bit and need to catch up so I can have all my books finished before I start school. Wednesday night, Marissa, Kristy, and yours truly, got together to do henna tattoos! Kristy found a Do It Yourself henna kit at Michael's and couldn't resist. It was an amazing night and Kristy's mother makes the best Mac & Cheese that can come from a box. I had to be a bit more selective about my tattoos 'cause I'm going BYU-I in about a week and a half, and I had a recital tonight and my mom didn't want to have to explain to everyone about the henna thing. So I have a small wrist tattoo and a glorious image on my shoulder. Kristy is an amazing artist and pretty much should do tattoos for a living.

So I figured out that Matthew Macfadyan was in Frost/Nixon! I've wanted to see that movie for quite some time and this information has strengthened my resolve. I guess that I'll have to add that to my list of Hugh Jackman and James McAvoy movies that I'm going to watch with Katelin, Marissa, and Kristy. We'll do that on Friday. :)

Today I set up a Zion's checking account for school and ordered free checks which only cost $5.95. I know, its a bargain! I also ordered my insurance cards, so I'm pretty much ready to go! I also went up to USU to look for a print of Old Main. My mom is re-matting my dad's diplomas and wants to put a picture of Old Main is to represent the school my dad graduated from. As I was walking through campus, I saw Chelsey! It was quite a surprise, but not really. I also ran into Lauren Judd and saw Sam, but I didn't stop to talk to Sam because I was getting on the bus to go home. Sometimes I am sort of sad that I'm not going to USU and majoring in History or Political Science just because so many of my friends are, but later I remember just how much fun music is, and though it is bittersweet, I get incredibly excited!

I had my senior recital at 7:30 p.m. today. It was really awesome. It didn't go quite as well as I had planned, but I don't think I ruined my family's name either. It was great to see so many people com out and it really meant a lot. Bonnie wants to hear me again in the Winter after a semester of college, and Brendan and I are going to have musical reunion, so I'm pretty sure that it won't be my absolute last time singing in the Valley. Once again it was very bitter sweet though because this was sort of the sum-up for my lessons with Bonnie. I can't wait to move on though and make a dent in the BYU-I music program.

Tomorrow I'm going shopping with Kristy and later that night going to see Star Trek (I know, this makes like 6 times and bring my grand total to about $28.) with Marissa and Kristy. I've been trying to squeeze in as many activities with friends as possible before I go.

Yesterday I wrote a letter to the editor about the canal closure. It hasn't been published yet, but I'm curious as to what the reception will be. It bothers me that so many people forget that the canal is owned by the Logan Canal Company and is private property. There have been so many people who have had the attitude that the canal company should pay the liability insurance so that they can go play or think that the canal is a public recreation provider. I find it very interesting while multiple people have proposed the idea that the canal company should carry liability insurance, no one has suggested that the "tubers" pay for it themselves. I'll let you know if my house gets torched!

3 comments:

  1. You'll save a spot for me on the fifth in that crazy schedule of yours won't you Erin? I would have come to your recital if I hadn't just moved to Provo the day before. I really like my roommates, but it was a total out of body experience for me to move in with five other girls. Shopping for college supplies... yippee. I am so glad I am done. Now I just need to build up my stock of food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! And I think that Heather and I are going to go on a Sunday picnic because she isn't sure if she will be home on Saturday. So you should come picnicing with us as well!

    I'm glad that your move went so well and that you like your roommates! Totally understand about the shopping for food storage and college supplies. My mother has been loading me up! Are you working your first year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might work next semester. We'll see how it all plays out... I already have a job that I could start basically anytime I want. However, it is where my sister has been working, and I am a little scared about what she has been telling them about me! I did respond to your text... today(sorry I took so long!)... um, I am coming home tonight so I will tell you more about my college life this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete